Photogrammetry Failures

We are working on an interactive experience about an isolated teenager, and are in the midst of building the bedroom. yesterday I conducted my first tests with photogrammetry, which you can see the results of below.

150f5abcf5f449b3d1cce2e8004c0799

For those of you curious to try photogrammetry yourself here is a brief rundown of what went wrong.

  • The first issue was that there simply were not enough photographs, we only took 19, and the more you take, the better your results will likely be. Next time we will aim for around 60.
  • The second issue was there were not many defining features to the bed, it was mostly repetitive patterns, this meant some photos did not align correctly. The lighting kit we are using came with a green screen, white screen and  black screen, so we will set those up around the room to provide some points of reference for the alignment process. Similarly, we will adorn the bed with sheets and a duvet (as we initially intended) and this should help us to create a better scan.
  • We did not have a good stand for the camera, and as such, had to improvise by balancing the stand on objects. We got a new stand, which has a tilt-able bracket. This should help.
  • Finally, we only have three lights, as a result the bed is always going to be lit more brightly from one side, we hope to get around this in game, as the bed is only going to be view able from one side anyway.

Time for round two, I’ll update the blog with more information later!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s