So this is a bit of a cop-out from writing myself, although I would like to write out and properly structure some of my thoughts on play, storytelling and world-building at some point.
Here are some of my favourite articles that relate to various different aspects of video games and the thought processes involved in designing and critiquing them.
- Worlds Worth Believing In: On Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls
- Ludonarrative Dissonance in Bioshock
- The Algorithmic Experience: Portal as Art
- Against Procedurality
- Architecture in Video Games: Designing for Impact
- Narrative, Interactivity, Play, and Games: Four naughty concepts in need of discipline